Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Taking the show on the road...


Returning from our showcase game in Las Vegas at UNLV, the experience made a major impression on me. Sitting in an arena where 8000 people came out for a high school basketball game was absolutely eye opening. I have not seen that here in Los Angeles at any event, including CIF Championship games. It showed me what can happen when you are in a community that genuinely cares. Businesses support. Fans support. Schools support. The whole community was engaged and involved. The energy was electric in that arena and the fact that the game sold out in only 3 days was amazing. Being a part of such a wonderful event was definitely good for our kids and clearly had a major educational impact on them about what high school basketball should really be all about. I am not sure kids get an opportunity to learn that in California, unless they are part of the fortunate few programs that get invited to an event like that. I am humbled and thankful that we were asked to be a part of such a tremendous event.

What really blew my mind was walking up to the arena that night and the radio station outside announced our arrival to about 3000 people. How they even spotted us I have no idea but that was on another level. The love we felt and the appreciation was crazy. We don’t get that at our own school so to get that in another state was absolutely great. It makes everything I do and the major sacrifices I make feel worth it. I am trying to bring that culture to our school and our community. And I believe that in time, we will have a packed gym every night that represents the fact that we have been able to bring together a community through basketball. That is what basketball is all about; bringing people together. ITS CALLED FAMILY!

No comments:

Post a Comment