Saturday, May 4, 2013


TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OPPORTUNITIES
Seize The Moment 

Having been on the road for two straight weeks, it has been hard to blog. But these two weeks have given me a lot to say but I will keep it brief. At every one of my Compton Magic Elite games there are tons of college coaches. Each coach represents an opportunity for our players to garner interest that could provide them with a college education that is completely paid for. When many of their friends will graduate from college with serious debt from student loans, our guys will have the piece of mind that they can start adult life without that same economic burden hanging over their head.

So what is my point? Life is about seizing the moment. Opportunity sometimes only knocks once and you never know when that opportunity will come calling. So it is important to be prepared and execute habits of excellence every day, all day, that produce results! I try to get my players to understand you never know who is in the gym looking at you that can make a difference in your life. They are critiquing you and attempting to ascertain whether you are worth the risk. For a college coach, that risk is their job and the means by which they provide for their family. This is a big risk with serious consequences if failure is the result. So it is all about producing results consistently. High stakes, big business, is all about production. Basketball is a high stakes business and is completely about producing.

As a coach, my job is to produce wins, high character kids and a stellar program that can be monetized, coupled with sending kids to college on athletic scholarships, garnering them accolades along the way for their accomplishments and playing by the governing rules. If I do not produce, a lot of people lose in the process. So I have no choice but to produce and take advantage of opportunities. I must seize the moment and teach my staff & players to do the same. That is the name of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment